Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Beach Days @ Boat Harbour

It’s Sunday on the long weekend, a hot 31 degrees and my friends have planned a beach day at Boat Harbour. We take a few cars, all 4WD’s so we can drive onto the beach and park in front of the water.  We are just driving onto the beach when the car suddenly stops and we realise that we are bogged. Even though my friend has a 4WD we still manage to get stuck in the sand, which is embarrassing but thankfully it is not long before we can continue. There are so many 4WD’s lined up along the beach, I have never seen such a site. It is quite strange because this is my first time to Boat Harbour and I have not seen anything like it before. We choose our spot on the beach. While waiting for our other friends to show up we start to set up and enjoy the sunshine. The water looks so inviting, a turquoise blue/green and I can’t wait to jump in.



Boat Harbour is located on the north-eastern side of Kurnell (near Cronulla) in Sydney. It is not a free
beach. Those wishing to drive up have to pay a $25 entry fee, though this does not really sting you if you have 2 or more people to share the fee. There are instructions as you drive in along the sand driveway advising only 4WD’s on the beach. Non-4WD’s must park in the car park and walk down, which is definitely not as much fun.
There are no food shops nearby to grab a bite so best be prepared if you’re looking at spending the day and pack lunches, snacks and beverages. The beach itself used to be renowned for being Sydney’s most polluted beach, but today there are no signs I can see of pollution. The water is as blue as I have ever seen in Sydney. I can see why so many families go to Boat Harbour and hang out for the day, it is secluded and they are able to drive right up to wear they want to make camp for the day which means no lugging of all their stuff. You can also bring your pets along, the beach is dog friendly. It also is great for just going with a group of friends. You can bring your dog along, your speakers and play music, get your games on, or just laze around and enjoy each other’s company. I would have to say after visiting Boat Harbour, it is now my favourite beach in Sydney. All I need now is a 4WD!


Written by Kea for Sydney Urban Life

No comments:

Post a Comment